Sunday, June 28, 2009

Communication Competence

Today, Carmen, Polly, Xin Yi, Jasneeta and I visited an orphanage, named "Shelter Home" located in Jalan Gasing, Petaling Jaya. This particular one we visited is one of the three branches of Shelter Home, where there are only children who are 12 years old and below. We visited this orphanage as part of our Moral assignment. I brought a few of my childhood books I used to read or them.

When we arrived, we were greeted by the man in charge. However, only one boy, Edwin, greeted us wearing a cheeky smile on his face. At the orphanage, we served the pizza Polly brought for the children and played games with them. For effective communication with the children, we had to think like them and try to feel what they feel to reach out to them.

Through these activities, I realized that communicating with the children required great effort. The fact that there was an age gap really required competence. The way the children spoke was significantly different from the way I usually speak, so I had to lower my level of thinking to reach out to them.

When I was there, I put myself into their shoes and tried to understand them. At the same time, I made a conscious effort to avoid talking about any issues that were sensitive(such as their family). It helped a lot, made me more tolerant of their misbehavior and mischief. Children being children, they were happy to sit around and watch television or play with their toys. I believe at this age, they are not yet aware of the gravity of the situation they are currently in.

As Edwin, who was only 11 years old, was the only boy who reached out to me, I spent the most time with him. He was chatty and talked about the late Michael Jackson and told me that he worshiped Arnold Schwarzaneger! This clearly shows that we must have communication competence to able to form a rapport with people. He was an endearing little child.

What they would not give to have a family. Looking at these children, regardless how naughty or rebellious, I wondered to myself, how could their parents abandon them? Their lives are so delicate. They need to be loved. No matter how many visitors come to show their sympathy, it would never come anywhere close to a family's love.


Written by,
Hooi Kit Wei

No comments:

Post a Comment