Sunday, June 21, 2009

Are We Malaysians Rude?

I just got this e-mail today that talks about the significant differences in British English and Malaysian English. Here's a few examples:

When Asking Someone To Make Way
Britons: Excuse me, I would like to get by. Would you please make way?
Malaysians: S-kew me.


When Asking For Permission
Britons: Excuse me, but do you think it would be possible for me to enter through this door?
Malaysians: *points at door* Can ah?


When Doubting Someone
Britons: I don't recall you giving me the money.
Malaysians: Where got?


In Disagreeing On A Topic Of Discussion
Britons: Err, Tom. I have to stop you there. I understand where you're coming from, but I really have to disagree with what you said about the issue.
Malaysians: You mad ah?


When Someone Did Something Wrong
Britons: This isn't the way to do it. Here, let me show you.
Malaysians: Like that also don't know how to do!

From the excerpt, you can see that there a significant difference between British English compared to Malaysian's English (also known as "Manglish"). Even though Malaysia is supposedly following the British English, it can be said that we have developed our own way and style of language when we communicate. Therefore, it would not shocking if a British tourist in Malaysia brands us as being "rude".

The Malaysian style of communicating often comes with slangs, such as "la" or "ma" in our sentences. The usage of these slangs have become so common that most of us use it more than we are aware of. I feel that the slang used is useful when trying to emphasize a statement. Sometimes, I feel it is also used to soften an accusation. Take the statement "I thought you took my book, no meh?" for instance. Most Malaysians would use the slang "no meh" to take partial responsibility.

Overall, I personally do not think the slang used by Malaysians indicate that we are rude people if used with the proper tone and pitch. However, I feel that this way of communicating strongly reflects the culture of us Malaysians. Hardly a day goes by when we don't hear Manglish; I'm sure you agree with me, hor?


Written by,
Hooi Kit Wei

No comments:

Post a Comment