Saturday, July 11, 2009

Are We Moving On?

On 10 July, 2009 (Friday), my ex-school, SMK Bandar Utama Damansara (4) had its annual talent night. It is an event where most students of that school and ex-students get together to enjoy a good show performed by their talented students. It was an opportunity for me to meet up with my ex school buddies, some of the best friends of my secondary years.

The event was very successful; performances were also much better than previous years. However, it was not the performance that mattered, it was the time that I could spend with my closest friends. Ever since moving on to college, we rarely had the chance to meet up. Most of the time at college, I would always wonder how different it would be like if only we had gone for the same course. Although we keep in constant touch through instant messaging, it lacked the spontaneous humour and togetherness.

There are nine of us, four of whom were friends from my primary school, the other four from secondary. Regardless, we were so close during our secondary days. We would spend recess together, hang out together, share laughs and even faced and solved problems together. It was like we were family. I would feel so safe whenever I was around them, I could be myself when I was with them, never worrying about embarrassing myself or having to prove myself. I was always the true me without reservations when I was with them. The friendship we had was perfect; we were thick as thieves.

However, things seemed to change a little when we began college. Eight of us started college, whereas one of us went for national service. All of us were busy doing our own thing, though we occassionally managed to find time to meet up. The first few "meetings" were still a blast, laughs, jokes, photos, it was great. However, during this talent night, even though very slightly, some magic was gone. Communication between us was beginning to seem different. Is it true that in time, we would need to move on? Is it true that we will find others to replace the friendship we had?

Honestly, when I first started college, it was difficult for me. I was depressed, upset and could not accept the fact that my closest friends and I were actually separating. When meeting other people, I would compare them to the eight "family" members, wondering if they could ever be replaced. We never know what we have until it's gone; I never realized that the absence of these eight people in my life could affect me so badly. However, I am beginning to overcome these insecurities; feeling reminescent less and less as days go by (perhaps it is the overload of assignments that distract me).

What I would do to get the times we had back. "Where does all the time go?", a quote by Chief James Porter from the movie The College Road Trip, is really meaningful. Times passes so fast. I would never forget the times we laughed so hard that we cried, the times we went through obstacles together, the times we were inseparable. I love them and miss them a lot, and hopefully, they do too. Thanks for giving me the best school life a kid could ever wish for, thanks for an education in life, thanks for enriching my life. What would I have done without you guys? We may grow and change, but no time can take away what we had, not in a million years.


Written by,
Hooi Kit Wei

1 comment:

  1. This is probably the second post of yours which I think it says out what my heart says too.
    I think I have more "family members" but it's not the quantity that matters but the quality.
    No worries, take the first move and plan outings with your "family members". I try to meet up with my "family members" at least once a week. You can Kit Wei. =)

    All the best. ;D

    ReplyDelete